looking for an sftp server for running in a container
Wayne Harris
2021-08-09 18:47:35 UTC
I tried to do this with panubo/sshd available in Docker Hub. To make
that SSHd run on port 22, I had to resort to specifying my own
sshd_config. When I did that, the software didn't work. I documented
that at

https://github.com/panubo/docker-sshd/issues/73

Then I tried other SSHd images and they worked well with my sshd_config,
but it seems these other images did not have support for PAM ---
``usePAM yes'' made sshd say it was not a supported option. I don't
know if that was the reason I couldn't use RSA keys to log in. Password
authentication worked just fine when I tried, so everything worked,
except for using private keys to log in, which is what I needed.

Now I'm thinking I should be just running a very simple server. All I
want is SFTP (not shell accesss), so any simple server that supports rsa
keys and provides SFTP is good enough for me. If there's always a
Docker image out there, even better.

Any recommendations? Thank you!
Wayne Harris
2021-08-09 21:10:13 UTC
Post by Wayne Harris
[...]
By the way, I just noticed that SFTP is not the same thing as FTPS.
What I do need is SFTP, using the SSH protocol. My users are using
WinSCP with the SFTP protocol, so I must stick to that. Is there any
alternatives other than SSHd? Thank you.
Kaz Kylheku
2021-08-10 02:39:47 UTC
Wayne Harris
2021-08-15 02:55:59 UTC
Post by Wayne Harris
By the way, I just noticed that SFTP is not the same thing as FTPS.
Moreover FTPS cannot plausibly be the French SFTP, because that
would likely be something like PTSF: "protocole pour le transfert
sécurisé de fichiers".
:)
Glad we our French figured out here. :-D